Paya Indah Wetland is an ideal eco-tourism destination. The Paya Indah Wetlands in Dengkil were developed after tin mining, and sand dredging activities left the swamp unused and excavated.
In 1998, the swamp was manufactured to promote the features and activities of the wetland. The Wildlife & National Parks of Malaysia has boosted the ecosystem with fish species and exotic species of hippos and crocodiles.
The objective of the development of the wetland was to spread wildlife conservation and make a better habitat for the organisms. The government’s mission was to manage, enforce, enrich, research of wildlife, and enhance its ecological value.
How to reach Paya Indah Wetland?
You have to drive through the ELITE highway to reach Paya Indah wetland. The drive from Kuala Lumpur takes around 45 minutes. From Putrajaya, you got to drive towards Dengkil, and the road right towards Banting heads to Paya Indah Wetland at the traffic lights. The Dengkil town is 9 km from the Paya Indah wetland.
Entry charge: free
Opening hours: 7:30 AM to 7:00 PM ( Monday to Sunday)
Friday: Morning ( 7:30 AM to 12:00 PM), Evening(2:45 PM to 7:00 PM)
Flora and Fauna of Paya Indah Wetland
Paya Indah Wetland is located in Dengkil, which takes around 15 to 20 minutes to drive from the southwest of Putrajaya-Cyberjaya. The government rehabilitates a total of 3,100 meters of area with different flora and fauna. The Paya Indah Wetland landscape mixes lowland tropical forests, lakes, and marshes.
Paya Indah wetland’s incredible growth and establishment of the ecosystem have made it home to 142 aquatic plants and animals, 40 species of fishes and 120 bird species.
Away from the hustle and bustle of the city, Paya Indah Island is worth visiting for a day full of peaceful outings among nature.
- Birds: 244 species
- Mammals: 23 species
- Fishes: 40 types
- Aquatic plants and animals: 142 species
Ecological Value of Paya Indah Wetlands:
- It attracts a lot of birds because of the waterbody, including the common mynah, water birds
- A safe breeding ground for hippopotamus and crocodiles.
- It also provides educational opportunities for ecological aspects.
- Conservation of the wetlands and restoration of balanced ecosystems.
Tourist Zones in Paya Indah Wetland:
The wetland is divided into three zones for conservation.
- Recreation Zone
- Education Zone
- Conservation Zone
Tourists commonly visit the lakes, and forests, marshes in the recreation Zone.
The education zone and conservation require a prior booking and are frequented mainly by groups of at least 12. These two Zones are not open to ordinary tourists but to educational or research institutes groups. Appointed guides will lead the pre-programmed tours.
Recreation Zone: The Paya Indah Wetland’s recreation zone is where most activity is noticed. The visitors enjoy nature walking, strolls, bike riding, and bird watching, and this zone’s highlight is the Hippo Lake. You can get close to the hippopotamus during feeding time, around 10:00 AM to 10:30 AM. Here are the activities to do on Paya Indah Island:
Activities to do Paya Indah Wetland
Paya Indah Wetland is heaven for nature lovers and enjoying fun activities together. Here is what you can do on Paya Indah Island.
- Bird watching: Paya Indah Wetland is a valuable destination for bird watchers. Here you can find purple swamphen, purple heron, olive-blacked sunbird, lesser whistling ducks, ashy tailorbird, red-wattled lapwing, white-breasted waterhen etc., in the early morning or evening. There are an estimated 244 bird species identified as the water body attracts a lot of birds.
- Fishing: If you are into fishing, you can have a great time fishing in Tasik Typha lake which will cost you around RM10. A fishing rod can be rented, and you have to pay the fee for a two-hour fishing/angling, but no live baits are allowed.
- Animal & Bird Feeding( Hippo, Crocodile, Fish, Pelican, & Porcupine Feeding): You can feed the hippos, crocodiles and birds at the preset time of their feeding.
- Hippopotamus feeding: 10:00 AM at Kolam Hippo
- Crocodile feeding: 10:00 AM at Kolam Hippo
- Pelican feeding: 10:30 AM at Kolam Lestari daily
- Porcupine Feeding: 11:30 AM at Laman Fauna
- Fish feeding: at Kolam Ekalogi ( RM 30 per palette)
- Trekking: You can take a guided trekking tour of the swamp for four hours for RM 120.
- Climbing the observation tower: Climbing the observation tower gives you a chance to enjoy the natural panoramic view of the wetlands. The observation tower can accommodate ten people at a time.
- Kayaking and Paddle boating: Have fun while kayaking and paddle boating in Tasik teratai or Tasik Sendayan. The boating services are open from 9 AM to 12 PM and 3 PM to 6 PM and charge RM 7 for 30 minutes of riding the boat.
- Bicycling and tricycling: Children and adults enjoy riding bikes along the trails and enjoying the breeze while exploring the landscape. Adult bicycles and tricycles for children are available for rent.
Besides these few activities, you can enjoy cultural activities in the Terengganu Malay House and experience jungle trekking and guided nature and photography tours.
- Night Safari: If you stay overnight, don’t miss the night safari experience, which costs RM120 for two hours. It is available four days a week.
- Biodiversity Education Programme: Biodiversity Education Programme offers school and college students a three-night, two-day stay.
- Nature-guided tour: This tour costs RM 120 for a four-hour tour of all three zones.
The eco-tourism park is a great destination to educate children about nature, the ecosystem and the residing species.
Accommodation in Paya Indah Wetland:
Accommodation in Paya Indah Wetland is available if you want to stay overnight. The wetland is 5km away from Dangkil. Paya Indah Wetland also has chalets for the guests. You can book a room for the chalets with a double bed suitable for two people’s accommodation. Available options on the wetland area itself are:
|Chalets (for twin bed)||RM 120 per night|
|Campsite||RM 9 per night per camp|
|Dormitories||RM 9 per person per night|
You have to prebook your accommodation if you want to stay overnight. Here are the booking times
Working Days: 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Weekends: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Paya Indah wetland is a great swamp that is man-made yet flourishing. The Malaysian government’s energy and natural resources have spent more than a million dollars on this wetland park, contributing to education, research, and purposeful use of the ecosystem.
Disclosure: Please keep in mind that some of the above links are affiliate links. As a result, when you make a purchase, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. The price remains the same for you, and in some cases is even lower if we have negotiated a special deal for our readers. We use all of the companies listed here, which is why they're on this list, but we also need to keep The Simple Travel Blog running as smoothly as possible, which is exactly what you're doing if you buy or book something through an affiliate link! If you have any further questions about the companies we work with or any other companies you're considering, please email us, and we'll be happy to assist. For more information, please see our full disclaimer page.