Shah Alam is the state capital of Selangor and is located approximately 20 minutes from Kuala Lumpur. Shah Alam has grown in popularity among locals and visitors from all over the world due to its lush green landscapes and unique architecture. Many places in Shah Alam will allow you to see both its prosperous history and modernity. Out of the best 25 attractions of Selangor that you should not miss, one of them is Shah Alam.
Here’s a list of the Top 10 best attractions in Shah Alam
1. Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Shah Mosque
The Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah Mosque is the state mosque of Selangor, Malaysia, located in Shah Alam. It is the largest mosque of this country and the second-largest mosque in Southeast Asia by capacity, which features a combination of traditional Islamic, West Asian and Malay design elements.
This mosque is mainly famous for its colour, which made its nickname “The Blue Mosque”. In this place, you’ll be able to feel a very peaceful and zen vibe. The tourists must visit this mosque. It has its own uniqueness in Selangor.
- Location: Seksyen 14, 40100 Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
- Opening Hour: The mosque is always open for prayer. But for non -Muslim visitors better visit from 9:00 am to 12 pm (except Friday) and from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm
You may also can read
2. Wet World Water Parks
The largest waterpark chain in Shah Alam, Wet World, stands by its promise to make everyone happy. The park features plenty of thrilling water rides and colourful floats for travelling families and people looking to cool off on a sunny day in Kuala Lumpur.
This place is accessible within a 45-minute drive from Kuala Lumpur city centre. The park is ideal for hosting group functions, carnivals, parties, family days, school picnics, corporate events and fundraising activities, especially during weekends.
- Location : No. 3A, Persiaran Dato Menteri, Seksyen 14, 40000 Shah Alam.
- Opening Hour : Friday to Monday 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. Closed on Tuesday to Thursday
- Entry Fee: Adults RM 37.00 Kids RM 32.00 (90cm to 130cm) Kids who are below than 90cm are free to enter. Buy Wet World Ticket with Klook and get instant discount through this link
I-City Theme Park is a signature attraction of the City for its Digital Lights, where over one million environment-friendly LED lights transform the park into a colourful wonderland in the evenings, which boasts five main themes:
Activities that you can do :
Itsy Bitsy (for children)
The place is best known for its theme park, the City of Digital Lights and Central i-City, a connected regional shopping mall. Visitors will enjoy the colour of the festival and the shining City of lights in this place.
- Location: i-Gallery, Jalan Multimedia, I-City, 40000 Shah Alam
- Opening Hour: The place is open 24 hours but if you want to see the colourful lights visit after 6:30 pm. For rides and other activities, please refer to their official website.
- Entry Fee: Central Walk, Shopping Malls don’t have any entry fees but for rides and other activities please refer to their official website.
4. Shah Alam national botanical Garden
Shah Alam National Botanical Garden is one of Selangor and Malaysia’s top destinations for eco/agrotourism. It is a national botanic garden in Shah Alam, featuring botanical gardens, bike rentals, a high ropes course & a swimming pool.
This place draws attention from both nature-buffs and thrill-seekers. The walking running cycling paths thru the forest is quite scenic. The visitors must visit the place to enjoy the present traditional Malaysian agrarian activities in a beautiful, natural setting.
- Location : Taman Botani Negara, Seksyen 8, 40000 Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
- Opening Hour: · Tuesdays – Sundays 08:30 am – 05:00 pm closed on Monday
- Entry Fee: Adult – RM 3.00 and Free entry for kids
5. Shah Alam lake garden
Shah Alam Lake Garden is a man-made lake with a beautiful landscape. The place is situated in the middle of the city centre of Shah Alam. It is one of the favourite retreats of the residents in the vicinity in the evenings and during the weekends.
East, West, and Central are the three divisions of the lake. The path in the Garden goes around the lake, and there are wooden, concrete bridges and even a small suspension bridge. There is also a children’s area and fountains. Visitors can spend their weekends in this beautiful place.
- Location : Pesiaran Tasek, Seksyen 14, 40000 Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
- Opening Hour :Open 24 hours
6. Sri Maha Mariamman Temple
The Sri Mahamariamman Temple is the oldest Hindu temple in Shah Alam. It is located close to the popular i-City and could be accessed by the Padang Jawa junction of the Federal Highway Route 2 going towards Section 7 Shah Alam.
The colourful carvings and decorations in the temple would leave a strong impression. It is usually a quiet and peaceful place.
However, it gets bustling just before and during the many festivals celebrated by Hindu practitioners. It’s a heavenly place to keep the devotee’s mind and soul in peace.
The interiors are really, really colourful. It is an Amman temple; Amman means Sakti (Energy, Power). You can feel the Sakti in any way you want, let it be in the form of love, comfort or strength. Believe in it, and you will get it.
- Location : Seksyen 7, 40000 Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
- Opening Hour: Hours or services may differ
7. Selangor-Japan Friendship Garden
Selangor-Japan Friendship Gardenis a Japanese-themed garden that spans 2.42ha and has welcomed visitors from near and far. The place is located near the Shah Alam mosque, and there is free parking near the entrance.
This Garden offers several Japanese landmarks and architecture, including the Zen Space, Maze Pond, Torii Gate, Reflexology Space, Stone Basin and Terrace Space. The Garden has a separate area with a different theme like maze garden, koi garden etc.
Maze garden is with a lot of shade, and the water is clean with all the pumps working. Different story for the koi garden as no water pump insight and water is murky.
- Location : Persiaran Bandar Raya, Seksyen 14, 40000 Shah Alam
- Opening Hour: Daily 10:00 pm – 07:00 pm
- Entrance Fee : Free
8. Shah Alam Extreme Park
Shah Alam Extreme Park is a little-known outdoor multisport facility near the Shah Alam library and Stadium Melawati. The place is accessible via the many highways to Shah Alam.
3 circuits of varying difficulty are available, and picnic areas and venues for events such as team building, birthday parties, or just a relaxing day in the forest. This is a popular weekend destination for residents of Shah Alam.
- Location : Jalan Lompat Pagar 13/37, Seksyen 13, 40100 Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
- Opening Hour: Daily 9:00 am to 7:00 pm
- Entry Fee: Free entry but there are charges for some activities ranges from RM 60.00 to RM 120.00
9. Setia Alam Pasar Malam
Setia Alam Pasar Malam is a famous night market in Malayasia with street food, fruits, vegetables, and clothes. It is a very crowded place, especially before Chinese New Year.
This night market claims the longest Pasar Malam in Malaysia. You can have a different variety of food such as Otak from Muar/ Laksa Penang / Coconut shake famous drink from Malacca/ Taiwan style Crispy Chicken /kuih muih, etc.
- Location : Jalan Setia Prima A U13/A, Setia Alam, 40170 Shah Alam
- Opening Hour: Saturday after 4:30 pm
10. Bukit Gasing
Bukit Gasing is a tropical forest reserve in Shah Alam that spans the federal territory of Selangor. The location is on the border of Kuala Lumpur and Petaling Jaya. Hiking is the most popular activity in this forest.
If you are a beginner hiker, be sure to bring a good pair of hiking shoes with grips, a hiking pole, a litre of water, and mosi guard (mozzie spray..the mosquitos are big with stripes). After a day of rain, the path can become quite slick.
- Location: Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
- Opening Hour: 24-hrs
With so many different sites and theme parks in Shah Alam, most visitors say it’s an excellent place to relax and experience nature. So, if you’re looking for a place to visit during the holidays, Shah Alam should be at the top of your list.